Dr Amandeep Chauhan is a passionate Dentist who has worked in Africa for charity organisations such as Red Cross where she offered dental care in Africa. Dr Aman graduated from University of Nairobi in Kenya in 2009 and currently works at eDental in Riverdale, Perth.
1. Why did you choose to become a Dentist?
From an early age, I've always been fascinated by teeth and how they define our facial expressions and structure. As a child, I would always remember people by their smiles. My elder sister is a Prosthodontic specialist and that did play a part as well.
2. What does a typical day as a Dentist look like?
I work at a practice where we see all types of patients. A typical day is never the same, can range from a very lengthy cosmetic procedure to an emergency extraction. I endeavour to always make it fun and the most satisfying part is seeing my patient's smile in the end.
3. What is your opinion on the importance of responding to customer comments and reviews on Whitecoat?
I believe that for feedback to work there has to be a closed loop system. I always read my reviews to find out what patients appreciate the most and also try and find out if there is anything I can do better. At the end of the day, we are here because of our patients, so their word must be taken with due respect.
4. What is the best part of your job?
The challenge that it presents. I enjoy the part I play in helping my patients, restoring their confidence and improving their oral health.
5. What is the biggest misconception people have about Dentists?
That a visit will cause them pain. As dentistry has improved over the years, most dentists and practices have invested in equipment to make their patients experience be a painless and relaxing one. This misconception is one I personally try to correct with every patient.
6. What has been your biggest career achievement or proud moment?
This one is a bit hard to answer. My biggest career achievement would have been awards I received during my study and post study. But as of a few years ago, a career defining moment for me was to go out on my own and set up my own practice. Charting my own path and developing the key ‘why’ of my career was a big moment for me.
7. If you weren’t a Dentist, which profession would you have chosen to pursue?
A ballet dancer. Don't ask why.
8. If you could choose someone to play you in a movie, who would it be and why?
Jennifer Garner. I always like the intensity and commitment she brings to a role. I loved her in ‘The Kingdom’.
9. If you could have one superpower, what would it be and why?
X Ray vision :) Will come in handy.
10. If you were on death row, what would your last meal be?
Now, it would have to be a salad. I've promised myself good eating habits and death row won’t change that. Maybe a slice of chocolate sin cake after that.
Visit Dr Amandeep Chauhan's profile here.
21 Feb 2018